Friday, February 18, 2011

6 Month Well Visit

Today Cadence is 6 months old! I was not aware until I became a mommy that turning 6 months means so much. For instance, today Cadence got to start (trying) to eat cereal.





She also got to take some pretty fun pictures with a sign, which she, of course, tried to eat.







Cadence's pediatrician surprised us with a cute little blanket for her 6 month appointment too, which was a pleasant surprise! 


Coincidentally, last night was also the first night that Cadence slept in her own room by herself! She slept for 11 hours straight, no problem. Apparently she's getting to be a pretty big girl! 

There are some things about Cadence hitting the 6 months that I was a little less excited about. For instance, 6 months means more shots. One of the shots available to her for the first time at 6 months is the flu shot. For a variety of different reasons, my husband and I don't believe in flu shots. But we discovered that it is much easier to make that decision for yourself than for your small helpless infant. However, we stuck to our guns and informed the pediatrician that she wouldn't be getting the shot today. Thankfully, we have an excellent doctor who supports our parenting decisions, and actually ended our appointment by telling me that I'm doing a great job. This was completely unexpected, because with all of Cadence's health problems, I have gotten somewhat used to doctors appointments being extremely discouraging. Then, the nurse asked me what kind of formula we use and came back with 3 free cans (read: about $45 saved!). 

So, here's the 6 month well in a nutshell: 

Pros: Free embroidered blanket, understanding doctor who didn't push unwanted shots, unsolicited compliment, and free formula. 

Cons: 3 other shots that made my munchkin cry... but that was expected, so really there weren't any cons. 

All in all, it was a surprisingly excellent check up! 



No comments:

Post a Comment