Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Jet-Setter's Guide: How to Fly with an Infant

Since my wonderful husband works for Southwest Airlines, we are blessed to have the ability to fly free! This is particularly wonderful since we have no family to speak of in Texas, so we take to the skies quite often. As in, Cadence turned one yesterday and she's already gone on 40 flights. So we fly a little.

With Daddy: 

Occasionally, we even fly with Southwest CEO, Gary Kelly!


Several friends have asked for travel advice from me when they are preparing to fly with an infant, and so I am finally writing this blog so that my information is all in one central location. Obviously, flight rules and regulations are always changing and no 2 babies are the same, so this is only what I have found to be the best things to work for Cadence under the current rules. Feel free to experiment with other ideas and let me know how your travels go! I'd love to update this blog post with new ideas!

So, here goes. In chronological (ish) order of your trip.

Cadence's First Flight, 8 weeks old

Packing: 
Have you seen those moms running through the airport looking completely overwhelmed and attempting to carry EVERYTHING they own for their screaming and stressed out baby? DON'T BE THAT MOMMY!!! Trust me when I say that LESS IS MORE! Your travel experience, time with your baby and stress levels will thank you for simplifying! Plus, unless you are taking your infant on a wilderness trek, odds are you can buy it when you get there if you forgot it. All that you need with you is enough stuff to survive the time in the airport and the plane ride.

Since we fly standby, we try to travel with only carry-on luggage. Yes, that is actually possible with a baby! However, more than once I've had to travel sans the aforementioned wonderful husband, in which case I usually check some luggage to lighten my load since getting through security is tougher with a little one in tow. This information is organized assuming that you will check luggage, since that's what normal people do.

When I travel, I take with me a large backpack, one rolling suitcase to check, boppy, stroller, and car seat. I check the rolling suitcase and car seat when I first get to the airport, leaving me with only a stroller to push with baby in it and a backpack on my back (I clip the boppy in to the outer part of the backpack).  If you have a diaper bag that you'd like to be able to use on your trip, empty the contents out and pack them in your backpack, since the backpack will carry a lot more stuff more easily. Pack the empty diaper bag in your checked suitcase. Don't take anything that you can't wear on your back or roll!

Here's what to put in your carry-on:

  • Breast Pump - If you will need to pump while you travel, be sure to carry on your pump. You don't want your pump in your checked luggage because of the risk of 1.  damage, 2. luggage being lost, and 3. A delayed flight or other circumstance and not being able to pump when you need to. If you need a breast pump with you, I would take a small rolling suitcase as a carry on item, and pack your pump in the carry on suitcase. The pump will take up most of the suitcase, but not all of it, so you'll have room for diapers, etc still. If a breast pump is not necessary for you, I suggest leaving the extra rolling suitcase at home and only carrying on a large backpack.
  • Infant front carrier, such as a Baby Bjorn, Ergo, Boba, or Infantino. I do NOT recommend a Moby Wrap. I love my Moby Wrap, but for the purposes of travel, it is so difficult to use. Definitely pack this carrier in your carry on luggage rather than using it to carry your baby through the airport. I'll tell you why in the part about getting through security. I like to have this for helping me hold Cadence while I go to the bathroom, if we have a long layover, etc. 
  • A complete change of clothes for Mommy including bra, panties, and jacket. I can't tell you how many times I've been spit up/thrown up/diaper leaked on while in flight. 
  • 2 complete changes of clothes for baby. In my opinion, it is easiest to have baby travel in footie pajamas so that you don't have to worry about socks, shirt, pants, etc. It's all in one. And the plane will probably be cold, so they'll be comfortable. If you're traveling to or from a very hot location, have them in a onesie with the pajamas ready to go on over it on the plane. 
  • 8 diapers and a small pack of wipes. 8 should be more than enough for a trip, and if needed I've used them to mop up baby puke, my soda that baby knocked over, etc. 
Airport changing tables are super fun!
  • Bottles: If you're bottle feeding, I recommend bringing one bottle in your carryon and rinsing it out and reusing it through the day. I know that's not normally what you would want to do, but for one day of travel it will be fine. If you are pumping, of course do the math and bring the right number of bottles for you to pump into that you'll need. I'd bring an extra in case there's a flight delay. 
  • If you're using formula, I recommend buying a smaller canister of formula or using a plastic formula dispenser in your carry on for the travel part and packing a big canister in your checked luggage for the rest of the trip. If you are using formula, if at all possible, pack your bottle empty and fill it with water on the other side of security to mix baby's bottle. It makes security SO much easier. 
  • Toys, books, etc to entertain baby if age appropriate
  • Solid foods: If your baby has started on solids, pack as much as you'll need for the day of travel in your carry on and the rest in your checked luggage. I always put the jars of pureed baby food and the spoons and bibs needed in a ziplock baggie. I recommend the baby food pouches rather than the glass or plastic containers, because the glass can break and the plastic easily cracks, and before you know it you've got baby food all over your luggage. 
  • BRING YOUR BOPPY OR NURSING PILLOW!!! This was the greatest discovery I made. I had outside clips on my backpack so I could clip it in to carry it on my back, and then once on the plane I put the boppy on my lap, laid baby on the boppy, and we could both travel comfortably the whole way. She could comfortably sleep, eat, lay there, etc and I didn't have to destroy my arm muscles trying to hold her while she did so. I have never ever had a flight attendant give me a hard time about this. 


  • The scoop on strollers: The first few times I flew with Cadence I didn't take the stroller, and I think it was a mistake. Life was so much easier when I started taking the stroller along! However, I took our nice Chicco stroller and somewhere around flight #28 it came off the plane with the basket broken off and non-repairable. So choose your travel stroller carefully. The airlines are not liable for any damage to your stroller or car seat if you choose to bring them. Consider yourself warned. If you take a stroller along, I would keep baby in it until you board the plane. When you get to your gate, go to the counter and ask for a gate check tag for the stroller. Then when you're boarding the plane, you'll leave the stroller right outside the plane door and pick it up in the same place after landing. Also, see my Security section for info on strollers and TSA. 
  • Car seats: If your baby is younger than 2 years old they can fly for free on your lap. They are called a "Lap Child." If you want them to stay in their car seat, you have to buy a separate full price ticket for baby to have a seat to put the car seat on. I will mention, in the event of an emergency, your baby and you both are MUCH safer if baby is in a car seat in their own seat. When they are on your lap and unrestrained, they essentially become a human airbag for you, and you will likely smash your baby... but I also know that airline tickets are expensive and airborne emergencies are somewhat rare, so I will leave that decision to you. However, many airlines will allow you to travel with your baby as a free lap child and if there is a seat on the plane that is not being used, they'll let you have the empty seat for the car seat. If there ends up being no space they'll come get your car seat from you on the plane and gate check it for you. I personally don't mess with any of this, because it's just one more thing to deal with getting through security, so I check my car seat at the ticket counter when I check my checked luggage in and pick it up at baggage claim upon arrival. 
  • If you are flying with a "lap child" rather than buying a ticket for your baby, it is required by law that you have a COPY (don't bring the original) of baby's birth certificate. Don't forget this or you'll have no choice but to either skip your trip or purchase a full price ticket for baby. 
  • Bring a small receiving blanket in your carry on- I lay this on the ground and let Cadence play on our longer layovers, cover her up if it's chilly, or use it as an emergency burp cloth if necessary in flight. 
Playing at the airport, 9months old
 6months old
That pretty well covers what should go in your carry on luggage. I will not cover what should go in your checked luggage, because I think it's pretty self-explanitory... everything else!

Checking in and Security:


When you arrive at the airport, take all your stuff and baby to the ticket counter. Check any luggage you wish, and your car seat if you don't plan to use it on the plane. Point out to the agent that you are traveling with a lap child (if applicable), sometimes they don't notice the baby, especially if she's in the stroller behind the counter and out of sight. They'll ask for the birth certificate and attach a baby boarding pass to yours. Then head to.... dun dun dun.... SECURITY. This is, in my opinion, the hardest part about traveling with a baby. Here are a few things to know in advance:

  • You have to hold the baby in your arms to walk through security. They can't be in a stroller, car seat, front carrier... nothing. This is why I recommend a stroller, it's the easiest way to get through security and be able to easily set baby back in on the other side while you re-organize your things. If you use a Moby Wrap, you have to completely unwrap the Moby and hold baby, then get through and try to re-wrap the Moby and put baby in while still holding her. Not fun. 
  • FOOD IS allowed through security, just not liquids. So you can bring along snacks for baby, or for yourself. No problem. =)
  • Wear flip flops or slides. You have to remove your shoes... this can get tricky to deal with taking off and putting back on. Since you have to hold baby through security, free hands are not a luxury you'll have. 
  • If baby is wearing baby shoes they might make you remove them... again, I recommend footie pajamas! **UPDATED**: As of late 2012, TSA policy has changed to allow children under age 12 to keep their shoes on while going through security. 
  • Have your liquids in a zip lock baggie ready to pull out easily. This includes sunscreen, diaper rash cream, etc. Nothing is allowed to have more than 3oz. 
  • If your baby's bottle(s) are full, you'll have to pull them out of the bag and put them in the tub separately to "declare" them. Depending on the airport and the TSA agent you get, they may do a secondary screening on your bottle. They'll ask you to remove the lid of your bottles and then they'll hold a test strip over the top of the bottle. It never touches the milk and doesn't hurt anything. They will likely do this regardless of it being pumped milk, whole milk, mixed formula... it doesn't matter what it is. 
  • If you are carrying on a breast pump, they will most likely have to do a secondary test on it where they stick a little wipe in it to make sure it's not a weapon of mass destruction. Apparently they look slightly bomb-ish on the scanner. This secondary test is essentially nothing, but just calculate the extra stop at security into your master plan for how early you want to arrive at the airport. 
  • Any car seats, strollers, etc. have to go through the security scan. If it fits through on the conveyor belt, send it through. It's much faster and easier than going through a secondary scan! The hardest part about this is holding baby while folding the stroller and then hoisting it up onto the belt with one hand. This is where it's nice to have a fantastic husband in tow!
  • If they ask you to take the baby through the new "back scatter" ask for the pat down instead. Usually they'll leave you alone since you have a baby with you, but I wouldn't take baby through the back scatter if I were you. 
On the Plane:

  • I would try to sit towards the back of the plane. If you're flying Southwest, or another airline where everyone picks their own seats, there tends to be more open space towards the back. The drone of the engine is also louder, which lulls baby to sleep and also drowns out the crying sounds if baby isn't happy. Try to sit on the aisle so you can make your escape if necessary. 
  • The down side of sitting at the back: on most planes, the rear restroom doesn't have a changing table. The front one does. In my opinion, the hike to the front is worth it. 
  • As soon as you take your seat, pull out your nursing cover or bottle and get ready to feed baby. Make sure you're feeding baby during take off and while the plane is climbing upwards and again on the descent and landing. It helps their ears pop and keeps them happy.  If baby is riding in a car seat and does not drink a bottle, give them a pacifier for take off and landing instead.
  • If you're in need of water for a formula bottle, catch a flight attendant before take off and ask for a water that's unrefrigerated for the bottle. They'll usually give it to you right then instead of making you wait, so you can mix a bottle and have it ready for take off. 
Shameless Southwest Plug:

Errrr.... this is not a good way to fly with baby. We were just joking, of course.

One Last Thing on Airports...
If you go to pick up your checked luggage and find your car seat has broken in pieces... an option not often advertised is that a lot of car rental companies will rent out car seats. Obviously not the top choice, but an option to know about!

And Finally, A Word on Hotel Stays:
If your travels require that you stay in a hotel, I have a few suggestions. Many hotels offer roll-away cribs for free or only $10-$15. I would ask for one. If they don't have them, if baby doesn't roll yet, you can put baby on the second bed, or if baby is already rolling, lay them on the ground on top of a blanket. In my opinion, traveling with a pack 'n play or other portable bed is a giant pain... I wouldn't do it.

 Cadence enjoying our hotel in Seattle, 7 months old

I use the stroller as a makeshift highchair while we travel. Cadence eats just fine and is able to sit at the tables at restaurants, etc with us. Also, since hotel rooms aren't made to be baby friendly, if you are traveling alone, I suggest setting baby up on a blanket outside the bathroom with the door open while you shower. This way you can continue to supervise while you get clean!

Note: Since this post was originally written, Cadence has grown up into a 2 year old, and we have welcomed our second baby, Ryland, into our family. I have flown with both of them, on my own, and have a whole new set of recommendations for flying with 2, but that will be coming (hopefully sometime soon) in a separate post. In the mean time, if you have specific questions, please feel free to post them in the comments and I'll try to answer them as best as I can!

Disclaimer: While my husband is an employee of Southwest, neither him or myself represent Southwest or any other airline in any way on this blog. This is simply a compilation of ideas I have gleaned from experience, and while Southwest may agree with many of my ideas or recommendations, they have not read, approved, or contributed to this post in any way. Please be sure to call the customer service number of your airline for specific questions needing an official response.
Happy Travels!


8 comments:

  1. Awesome!! A friend of yours recommended your blog and I am very glad I came across it because I will be flying with my baby in the next few months, probably when she is about 5 months.. I had no idea about the birth certificate, the boppy being allowed on the plane, and I probably would have used my moby wrap. Thanks for sharing all the great advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad it helped! One thing about the boppy... if you call the airline and ask about it they are required to tell you that it counts as a separate carry on item, but if you just don't ask, I've never had anyone give me any trouble. Please feel free to ask any other questions you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again! I'm flying 6 days with my 5 month old.. I was so upset because I accidentally deleted the link to your blog in my favorites! I've been looking for it for a month! I'm so glad I found it again so I can go over everything before I get on the plane, I'm so nervous. I remembered your advice about the boppy though! & I'm bringing my ergo. :) my only concern is my grandma, who we're on our way to see, already bought us a stroller there because she thought it would help! is it really a nightmare at the airport without one? I was thinking I could just push my stuff in an airport cart. I don't want to make her to feel like she bought it for nothing. I think she's kind of nesting haha.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, the reason that the stroller is so imperative for me personally is because of several things that may or may not apply to you. 1) My daughter can't stand being in front carriers like ergo and I am not strong enough to hold her in my arms alone for the entire trip. 2) She feeds herself her own meals and I use the baby food tray on the stroller as a sort of high chair when we travel. 3) We use a convertible car seat rather than an infant carrier, so we don't have anything with a handle for holding her in. SO... if your baby is happy in the ergo and/or infant car seat and doesn't need to feed him or herself from the tray, then it will probably be much easier for you to not have to travel with a stroller. But if you need it for any of the same reasons as I have you might re-consider. Just remember that if you plan to use either an ergo or infant car seat you will have to pull baby out of either one to go through security and they will make you put the carrier or car seat (or both) through the scanner. Traveling with baby the first time can be nerve wracking, so feel free to ask me anything else you need to! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, if you are looking for another way to make baby roll without a stroller you could consider purchasing a car seat attachment called "Go-Go Babyz." It is basically a set of wheels with a handle like the ones on rolling luggage that attaches directly onto your carseat. Just make sure it is compatible with your car seat. They are pricey- about $80 for the convertible car seat one and up to $150 for the infant car seat one- but work like a charm! Check them out here: http://tinyurl.com/c9g4r7l

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow thanks! Well it sounds like the ergo will be just fine for us after all. :) I love it & I have always been comfortable wearing it for long periods of time. I'll be sure to bring a blanket though to put her on the floor when we finally get to where out plane will be!
    I won't be flying alone but the rest of my family won't be next to me on the plane since they got their tickets separately, I hope I can do it!
    Your baby's adorable by the way!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any tips on how to warm up a chilled bottle at the airport/in the plane? Do flight attendants have a way of getting you hot water? And thanks for the tip on ditching the diaper bag and using a backpack. I have a feeling you just saved my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brianne, if you are traveling alone I don't recommend doing this, because it's a little dangerous. Ask the flight attendant for a cup of hot water. They have it because they make hot cocoa and tea with it, but it is very hot. When they bring it, dump it into an (unused!) sick bag... the ones you puke in when you don't do so well on a flight. They are made to hold... well you know... so they don't leak water. Then you can place the bottle in the bag to have it surrounded by the hot water and check it every 30 seconds or so to make sure it's not getting too hot. When it's warm enough hand the bottle to your husband or travel partner, fold the bag down so it won't accidentally spill hot water on someone, and go to the bathroom to dump it. If you are using formula, ask the flight attendant for a water to use that is as warm as they come... it will still be cold but it won't be ice cold, so it gives you a head start! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete