Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baby Grilled Cheese and Mashed Potatoes!

Ok, so I am sort of trying to make it so that my baby girl can eat some super yummy classic kid foods without becoming America's newest gordita... You may remember my recent post about my new healthier way to make Mac 'n Cheese... well here's a couple more ideas! I can't claim the Grilled Cheese idea... that came from my friend Amanda. But it's awesome. And Cadence went berzerk over it. And to be honest, I try all of Cadence's food and I really liked it too. So yay Amanda! Here's what you do:

Baby Grilled Cheese


Butter your whole wheat bread with unsalted butter. Then put one slice down on the pan butter side down and spread pureed carrot baby food on the inside part... I did this pretty thick, like how you'd spread jelly. Then put a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of that (I used shredded because it breaks apart easier once melted, which means Cadence isn't as likely to choke on it.) Then add the top slice of bread and cook just like any other grilled cheese, flipping at the perfect time. =) I let it cool and then broke it apart into small pieces to give to Munchkin, and removed the crusts since she is somewhat gag and choke prone. I'll have to add a picture another time... she ate the whole thing up!

Baby Mashed Potatoes


Make your mashed potatoes in a normal way... and then rather than gravy or butter, add a couple of spoonfulls of pureed veggies. Cadence's favorite remains the zucchini and broccoli medley from Earth's Best, but you could probably use any veggie flavor. Then I added in a handful of cubed steamed butternut squash... these are conveniently sold in bags, pre-cubed and microwave steamable in the refrigerated produce section at Walmart for $2. Amazing! Warm the whole shebang up for a few seconds and then stir and serve! And really, I promise, pictures will be soon to come!

1 comment:

  1. Can I call her a gordita? It sounds so cute! As always I certainly appreciate you going through all this first and passing down your tips.

    ReplyDelete